Hello there. I have some links about things for you to click your mices onto.
– There’s been some bitching lately, mostly among Facebook groups, about people not being allowed to wear football strips or fly English flags in pubs, and how it’s obviously the fault of foreign people wearing turbans and claiming benefits. Allow Carmen to set a few things straight.
– Science-based Parenting has an interesting article about the relative merits of Bristol Palin and Lady Gaga as role models for young women.
– I saw this trailer in the cinema on Sunday, for a dark and horrifying story about a truly terrifying and sinister individual. Have a look. It’s actually really good.
– Oh yeah, I went to the cinema on Sunday to watch Four Lions, and it was brilliant. Chris Morris is totally forgiven for that shite he did in between being awesome. The Islamic extremists were well-rounded and complex human characters, but never so deliberately heartstring-tuggingly sympathetic that you forget that they’re complex human characters who plan to commit mass murder. It was genuinely funny and consistently quite moving, and I can be a cynical and hard-to-please bastard on both those points. Highly recommended.
– You probably noticed when Google turned their front-page logo into a playable Pacman game last week. According to somebody’s calculations, this cost the world nearly five million hours of productivity. My first thought – aside from “worth it” – is that calling this a “cost” assumes that every minute of every one of those hours would have been spent hard at work, were it not for Google’s mischievous intervention. Speaking from personal experience, it seems far more likely that many of them would have been spent doing something else of no practical value instead.
– And most excitingly of all, I am re-launching The Daily Half-Truth in an effort to get myself writing stuff more regularly. So you should start checking back over there every weekday, or turn it into RSS food or something, for short chunks of surreal snarky humour about stuff that’s going on in the world. Here’s the first in this new run. (It’s about Lost, but don’t worry, there are no spoilers for the finale. I still haven’t seen it, for one thing.)
Right then. Back to work.