– I am an insufficiently funny atheist. This is genius. From that guy who brought you that weird email prank thing with the spider.
– Shock news: loud minority of idiots continued to get unbelievably upset and whiny about a tiny suggested change to the current way of doing things. Specifically, police have been advised to use an alternate term than “Christian name” when referring to someone’s first name, and this is apparently as horrible an infringement on our liberties as if they had BANNED CHRISTMAS FOREVER. Seriously, grow up. You call it a Christian name because you’ve grown up in a society where Christianity is the norm. Why would a Muslim have a Christian name? Or a Hindu, or a Sikh, or any non-Christian? I’m not going to be bothered one way or the other if someone asks me for mine, but… what the fuck is difficult about saying “forename”? Oh god now I’m looking at links to other articles on this site and I’m just going to bail out now for the sake of my blood pressure. (link via @NewHumanist)
– Jack of Kent has posted Jack’s Defamation Challenge, in which he claims to defame some notable public characters, but I don’t think he actually does. You can make up your own mind, though.
– I’m not going to personally be able to join in with lobbying the House of Commons on libel reform, but lots of awesome people will be more than making up for my absence.
– A couple of guys wrote a pretty crappy book about Darwin, and Adam Rutherford was not impressed with the Guardian’s lame reporting on how “everything you’ve been told about evolution is wrong”. It’s probably not. Biology is just an ever-developing branch of science in which we regularly learn new things. This very lengthy book review discusses the problems with What Darwin Got Wrong in what I assume is a brilliant and insightful analysis but I can’t be sure because I haven’t read it because of tired.